Eva Green: I never regret anything I wear

Posted by M. in Jan 12,2010 with 20 Comments

I wear more hats and scarves than anyone

by Alice Collins

What is your favourite item in your wardrobe and why?

A black leather Dior bag. It has my initials on it which makes it extra special. I take it everywhere; it’s my Mary Poppins bag!

What is your fall-back outfit?

When I don’t know what to wear, I put on skinny black jeans and an oversized cashmere jumper — preferably from Donna Karan. If I can face it, I’ll put on heels.

What has been your favourite costume and why?

I loved all my costumes in Cracks [her new film], I’m crazy about that everyday Thirties look. I wore beautiful high-waisted trouser suits, headscarves and gorgeous printed silks. The costume designer Alison Byrne is a genius.

How does being an actress affect your style?

I probably wear more hats, sunglasses and scarves than anyone else.

You have quite a distinct red carpet style, how involved are you in the final look?

I always have the final say. The red carpet is a great opportunity to wear outfits that you would never wear otherwise.

What is your one piece of fashion or beauty advice?

I use L’Or de Vie moisturiser by Dior. And I always do a smoky eye.

Your biggest fashion faux pas?

I never regret anything I wear — it’s simply not worth it.

What aspect of fashion do you dislike the most?

The pressure for everyone — including men, these days — to be really thin.

How do you think people perceive you from the way you dress?

Some people think that the way I dress is over the top and a bit eccentric, but I’m just having fun and dressing up . . .

If you could steal anyone’s wardrobe, past or present, fiction or reality, whose would it be and why?

It would definitely be Marlene Dietrich’s — she was so feminine but at the same time, still strong.

What are your five desert-island staples?

Lots of contact lenses, factor 50 sun cream, Penfold Grange wine, Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde and all of Stefan Zweig’s books.

What is a fashion Day in the Life of Eva Green?

It is a real treat for me to go to Alfie’s Antiques market and browse through all the curiosities there.

Source: The Times

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 at 7:19 pm and is filed under Interview. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

20 Responses to “Eva Green: I never regret anything I wear”

1. Comment by George in January 13, 2010 @ 12:12 am

Eva made me familiar with Murakami and now she will make me looking for Zweig’s books :)

2. Comment by spot in January 13, 2010 @ 1:56 am

i love how she adores Marlene Dietrich <3

3. Comment by Janne in January 13, 2010 @ 5:10 am

I share some of their tastes in fashion, I love your style.
    Last July personalme met Eva in London and can assure you that is quite distant and somewhat cold, eva not the same as before.

4. Comment by Nikos in January 13, 2010 @ 9:27 am

Very Good Article :)
    Nikos

5. Comment by George in January 14, 2010 @ 12:29 am

Janne: Thanks for sharing your experience. I think that it depends on the occasion (e.g. was she in a boring event or met her accidentally in TopShop?). I say so because all of us have bad periods that we don’t want to see other people and we are not so benevolent. The issue is the frequency of these periods…

6. Comment by Janne in January 14, 2010 @ 3:08 am

George: I saw her in the street accompanied by his representative had mahogany hair caught my attention so distant and cold to display.
    I now live in London and be common to see you here.

London a friend of mine tells me that before Eve used to be more amiable nearest.

7. Comment by George in January 14, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

Janne: so you come to my words: It’s a matter of day (…or previous night) :)

8. Comment by Maud in January 16, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

Eva in studiocinélive, the january issue.

The quality is very crappy, I’m sorry.

9. Comment by George in January 17, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

Thank you Maud! I wonder what is Eva saying about Antichrist…

10. Comment by A. in January 17, 2010 @ 10:02 pm

Thanks Maud ! I was going to scan it, but you’ve been faster than me ;)

And for George : (again, so so sorry for all the mistakes)

What gave you the envy to take the lead role for Cracks ?

E.G : I received a letter from J.Scott that offered me the forst role. and it touched me very much, cause it’s a pretty rare thing ! When I read the script, I get intrigued by the relationship that teacher maintains with the girls who are her students. The challenge consisted in finding some humanity in this character who lives in her own bubble. My reference was Blanche Dubois (Streetcar named desire), feminine and disconnected from reality. she seems very strong from the outside while she’s a sensible and fragile girl.

Playing madness is always considered has a gamble. How did you experience it ?

E.G : Telling yourself you’re going to play the part of a crazy woman is dangerous. So I chosed to think about her as an obsesive person. And the moment where everything changes for her even slips from me (my consciousness ?).

Who helped you composing this character ?

E.G : I worked with my old theater teacher, Eva Saint Paul because she reminded me very much of the character. Not about the crazyness (laughs), but about her very bright and theatrical side.

What did you learn in her classes ?

I didn’t profit from it as I should because I was too hurry. I was experiencing my first castings and before all I wanted to act. I felt like I was losing my time whereas it’s the only one moment where you can really explore that profession, where you can fail. Besides, I still talk with her when I have to prepare my roles…

Is choosing your roles is becoming more and more easy as the years pass on ?

Oh, no ! That’s the reason why I don’t play much. I really have to be one hundred pourcent sure to say yes. Otherwise, the result will be bad.

E.G : I would love to be directed by directors I admire, like Audiard or Giannoli. But I didn’t get my hands on a script that would make me enthousiastic about. also, maybe the fact I don’t have an agent here creates some misunderstanding. I’m well aware about the distance that has been established between the french cinema and me, and I do regret it.

Did you do something to abolish it ? Did you ever go to a french director to tell him you will to shoot with him ?

E.G : When I was younger, I sent a letter to Rappeneau with my picture with it… But today, I feel unease to do so, and besides, I’m not sure that it works.

You were supposed to act in Lars Von Trier’s Antichrist. What did happen ?

E.G : Lars has got genius. I was dreaming about doing this movie. But when I tried to discuss whith him about the sex plans, it drived him mad. Actors are supposed to obey him without asking any question. Still I wasn’t calling anything in question, I wanted precisions. But it was already too much for him. So, it didn’t happen. Too bad !

You don’t like directors who like “creates inconfort in their comedians (don’t know if it’s correct) ?

E.G : Making an actor suffer can bring great results. But I think this manipulation is sadistic and silly, like to say to an actor to imagine his mother’s death to make him cry. we’re doing cinema, not masochistic games.

Which movies are your last coup de coeur (favorites ?) ?

E.G : Thirst (PArk Chan Wook) that I found amazing and completely mad. I also loved Fish Tank. I love that english independant cinema where everything seems so natural that it’s like real life captured moments. I would dream to be a part of it, but I’m often answered that I seem too cold or too pretty to be believable. Though, I’m lucky that english people adopted me and give me the roles of an English girl. So, I don’t get desperate !

(two parts are missing but I’m too much tired to do this now, But I’ll definitely traduce it tomorrow ;) :)

11. Comment by A. in January 18, 2010 @ 8:11 am

As for the rest of the interview…

Do you talk much with your mother about this profession ?

E.G : Yes, but she thinks I’m an alien ! She says : “Why are you taking independant movies that nobody will see ?”

It’s a fact that since Casino Royale, we only see you in first films with small budgets, like Cracks… Is it a will ?

E.G : Partly, yes. Each of these movies will be less seen than James Bond. But in fifty years, what will I remember ? The experience I had. Obvioulsy, it is important that people see my work, and to be recognized for it. But what concerns me before all is the human experience. And this one is often much stronger in a low budget movie than in a blockbuster.

That’s it ;) I know there’s nothing much new for someone who read her recent interview, but still… ;)

12. Comment by George in January 18, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

A. : you are A.mazing! Thanks so much for the excellent translation.
    Tango_down : I think you have a strong competitor here :)

PS If Eva regrets her absence from Antichrist, I surely don’t…

13. Comment by Tango_down in January 19, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

George : I give up gladly my seat to A. ;)

14. Comment by George in January 20, 2010 @ 12:21 am

Tango_down: I was sure ;)

15. Comment by Nikos in January 20, 2010 @ 12:33 am

A. – You did a Great job here and thank you for posting for all of us as I really enjoyed reading it and seeing what Eva had to say.

Nikos

16. Comment by V in January 20, 2010 @ 9:45 am

She loves Zweig’s books… It makes me likes her even more!!

17. Comment by A. in January 20, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

I have to say Tango_Down’s are quite excellent while mine are such approximate ones :s But when there’s nobody around to do it, well.. :)

I still didn’t see antichrist, I have to say I’m not too enthousiastic about it…

18. Comment by George in January 23, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

A.: Your translation takes 98/100 in Tango_down scale :)
    I saw Antichrist and it’s obvious it is a film made by Lars for Lars (his therapy from depression as he said). That’s say it all. I don’t doubt his genius (who am I?), but I couldn’t see Eva in Charlotte’s (Gainsbourgh) place.

PS However, as you may have noticed (eight Mata :) ). I liked Eva in another Charlotte’s place (Rampling) and this is in the famous Tatler’s photo.

19. Comment by Kajual in January 23, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Thanks Nikos ! Sorry (considering the moderation delay, I didn’t see your kind words before ;)

20. Comment by Nikos in February 1, 2010 @ 12:43 am

You are very Welcome my Friend :)
    Nikos