Eva Green becomes Morgana in “Camelot”

Posted by M. in May 28,2010 with 36 Comments

The show, from the makers of The Tudors, starts shooting next month on location in Ireland, with Eva Green as sorceress Morgana la Fay, Jamie Campbell Bower as King Arthur and Tamsin Egerton as Guinevere.

Joseph Fiennes is in the early stages of negotiations to play Merlin.

The producers claim that the drama is based on Thomas Malory’s Le Morte d’Arthur.

This entry was posted on Friday, May 28th, 2010 at 4:26 am and is filed under Camelot, General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

36 Responses to “Eva Green becomes Morgana in “Camelot””

1. Comment by Lola in May 28, 2010 @ 6:19 am

Wow! The Eva/Ireland thing is becoming quite the love connection :P

2. Comment by Lola in May 28, 2010 @ 6:21 am

Plus: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1282008/Jonas-Brothers-star-Nick-make-West-End-debut-Les-Miserables.html
    “Ms Green’s profile will also benefit the project. She’s already well known thanks to Bond film Casino Royale, and two of her forthcoming pictures – David Mackenzie’s film the last Word (made with Ewan McGregor) and Womb, with Matt Smith as her leading man – have been shortlisted for the Venice Film Festival in early September.”
    That’s so awesome, congrats Eva xx

3. Comment by Kajual in May 28, 2010 @ 7:30 am

GOSH ! I don’t know what to think about it… I mean The tudors was good, but in itself, it’s such a surprising news for Eva…

4. Comment by carol82 in May 28, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Not very well understood, it is Television series??? my English a little bad, sorry.
    Lola;Thanks for information, be very good for eva.

5. Comment by EvaAnne in May 28, 2010 @ 11:10 am

YESSSS! A dream come true! ;-)

6. Comment by Lola in May 28, 2010 @ 11:40 am

Hmmm, a bit, but it’s always cool to hear about getting new projects, and the dark/dangerous/mysterious sorceress thing doesn’t surprise me one bit.

7. Comment by George in May 28, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

Another witch role for Eva. I hope this time the script will be more generous to her talent.
    Venice seems to be a fateful city for Eva: Debut in Venice Festival in 2003 with the Dreamers and last (…and unforgettable) scenes as Vesper in CR.

That’s all very good news. Thank you so much Mariana !

8. Comment by Yadi in May 28, 2010 @ 4:29 pm

Yeah! I hope they get Joseph Fiennes. Eva Will be amazing!!

9. Comment by EvaAnne in May 29, 2010 @ 3:49 am

carol82: Yes, it is a television series, but a “short” one (10 episodes).

A question though, out of interest. Does this mean that:
    - Mona Lisa has finished shooting?
    - Eva is not involved in Michael Mann’s Waiting For Robert Capa and – as most of us already suspected – Ian Loreños’ The Leaving?

10. Comment by George in May 29, 2010 @ 7:17 am

carol82: Yes it’s a television series with probably 10 episodes. A good previous example is the series Tudors. Nowadays, the TV series is the alternative hot product of the the film industry. They are shoot with all the specifications of a movie and, if they are good, they bring more money to the producers.
    I am happy because we will surely see more minutes of Eva in a 10 hours series than in a single movie :)

11. Comment by Nikos in May 29, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Great News!
    God Bless & Good Luck Eva -
    Go knock them Dead Bella Mia!!
    Sas agapo, Ku Kla
    Nikos
    xoxoxoxo

12. Comment by carol82 in May 29, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

George: Thanks,If you watched the series the Tudor, so that I can make a idea.Pienso which is very good for eva.

EvaAnne: Thanks,I thought the same thing happened with mona lisa?
    I love the site, the penalty is not having pictures of eva Candids.

13. [...] EvaGreenWeb reports that Eva Green (Kingdom of Heaven) has been cast as the sorceress Morgana in the new series, Camelot. Joseph Fiennes (Shakespeare in Love) might also join as Merlin. I highly respect these actors and their involvement makes me believe it will be a quality show. Ireland is also such a beautiful place to film historical series! Camelot was never this raunchy! King Arthur’s a swordsman par excellence — with the ladies, that is — in the new ten-part TV series Camelot. [...]

14. Comment by George in May 29, 2010 @ 11:41 pm

EvaAnne: Mona Lisa never started shooting and The Leaving (…costarring with Megan Fox!) was a bluff. It is already removed from her imdb page. I don’t know about Mann’s project

15. Comment by Johnny in May 30, 2010 @ 11:26 am

Wow I never saw this coming! At first when I read the title I was really happy because I can totally see Eva in that role. When I saw that it will be a TV series my enthusiasm cooled a bit. I don’t see Eva as a TV actress, because it seems a downgrade in her career… Anyway I’ll be looking forward to it! The Tudors is a wonderful series, I can only hope that Camelot will be at least as good!

EvaAnne: I think Mona Lisa isn’t going forward anytime soon. Larry Clarke is filming another movie and Mickey Rourke seems pretty busy too! The project has been in development since 2005 with Hayden Christensen and Rosario Dawson starring, so it’s one of those films that you never know…
    As for The Leaving I think it was an hoax, because imdb was the only source and now it even disappeared from Eva’s page.
    As for Michael Mann’s project I still hope Eva is involved, because it seems a really good role! It could certainly give her career a boost! Anyway that movie seems to be in the early stages of development so I doubt that it will start filming before the winter. By the way does anyone know how long will Camelot’s filming last?

16. Comment by Nausicaa in May 30, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

Hello,

I’ve been following Eva’s career for a while and I wanted to chime in.

I think this sounds like a great role for her. Not only is it well-suited for her, but I disagree that a TV role would be a downgrade – especially a TV show on a cable network. Lots of movie actors transition back and forth between television work and movie work now (Sean Bean, Helen Mirren, Rebbecca Hall, Anna Paquin). Also, we’re only taking 10 episodes so far, so it’s not going to eat up a lot of her time. On a TV show she could really delve into a character and build layers to her. No doubt she’ll expand her fan base too. My only real reservation so far is Jamie Campbell Bower’s casting as Arthur…They could do better.

I’m not going to allow myself to get excited about the Michael Mann project until Mann formally announces it as his next project. Right now, he’s probably going through the preliminaries, talking to actors, gauging interest and availability, etc. I doubt Eva is actually signed on – I think the article jumped the gun there. Also, we’re not 100% sure the article was referring to Mann’s Robert Capa film – it could have just as easily been referring to another one. I’m just reiterating this ’cause I know what it’s like to get excited about something on vague information only to be disappointed later…

17. Comment by Kiska in May 30, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

Did anyone else’s mind just explode with the utmost glee? Eva + The Death of King Arthur? Yes please!!!! :D

18. Comment by Lola in May 31, 2010 @ 9:09 am

1) Ok, firstly – I HOPE TO GOD EVA IS NEVER MADE TO WRK WIRH MEGAN FOX – I’m sure all of Eva’s fans have great taste (hence, being a fan of Eva!) and I won’t have to explain why.
    2) Secondly, there’s plenty of great quality TV out there, esp. in UK/Ireland; Merlin, Being Human, The Devil’s Whore.
    3) I’m really not keen on Eva working with Larry Clarke, could do much better imho – not about that project in the slightest.
    4) Eva + Michael Mann – sounds incredible, I don’t care what the project is!
    5) Can’t wait to see the show, plus bts/promo images of Eva on-set/in costume! :D :D

19. Comment by EvaAnne in May 31, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

Hi Nausicaa, nice of you to join us! ;)

Kiska: yep, and still happens to me when I re-read the news!!

George: Thanks for the info on Mona Lisa! I had actually read somewhere pretty reliable that it had finished shooting, but I was confused because EGW hadn’t reported anything….
    Shame though, I hope the project will eventually continue, because it sounds like a (another) good role for Eva.

20. Comment by Nikos in May 31, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

WOW – Great News from all thanks :)
    Hope Eva knows all the Great Fans she has here!!!
    I think and agree that a Series on TV and or Cable will be good for Eva as she deserves more credit then what she gets and maybe because they don’t see her in all her roles?? A cable or TV series will allow everyone to see her meaning more people watching TV these days and they can see her Talents full force. As for me I am looking forward it !! : )
    Nikos

21. Comment by George in May 31, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

Welcome to EvaGreenWeb Nausicaa. Inspired nickname! Are you fan of Greek mythology? In that case you should exchange views with Nikos the Spartan :)
    I agree with what you said regarding the short TV series, that’s why I also liked the idea of Eva’s involvement in Camelot.

22. Comment by elaine in June 1, 2010 @ 6:32 am

When I first heard about this my first thought was weren’t they all supposed to have film careers, what happened? I’m talking about Tamsin, Eva and Joseph I’ve never heard of the guy playing King Arthur can’t say I reckon him. Eva will be great at Morgana better than Katie Mcgrath who can’t bring the menace needed for the role. As for the sex scenes between Morgana and Arthur he looks way to young for Morgana to be having sex with him. Never watched The Tudors thank god now I know there was racist in the lead J R Meyers.

23. Comment by Antigonus in June 1, 2010 @ 9:49 am

There have been some well-funded subtle intelligently scripted television series recently, but I thought the Tudors, despite the budget and the cast, was ultimately a bit trashy, not terribly authentic, and poorly cast. let’s hope for her sake that if it is the same team they apply something a little bit considered to the Arthurian, rather than the same sex-and-glamour formula with lots of hammy overacting by various RADA types. I thought she didn’t want to get continually cast as the femme fatale ?

24. Comment by Еvgen in June 1, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

It again I. I have an order for film shooting about “Riharde Zorge” – a material super! It is ready to resell it to you. I can write a role of the Swede of girl-friend Zorge for Eve?

25. Comment by Sarika in June 1, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

TV is definately not a downgrade. 10-13 episodes per season allows each episode to be better than say 1 of 22 episodes since they have more time and money per episode. Plus you have more than 2 hours to develop characters and plots.

I just hope Starz’s Camelot doesn’t end up being like its Spartacus: Blood and Sand. The actors involved so far in this and the filming locations give me a lot of hope!

26. Comment by Astrea in June 3, 2010 @ 8:52 am
  27. Comment by George in June 3, 2010 @ 2:47 pm
  28. Comment by George in June 4, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

After Cracks, Ireland will become Eva’s second house…
    Joseph Fiennes is definitely in Camelot. Wow…

29. Comment by Nikos in June 5, 2010 @ 12:06 am

Astrea, George – Thanks for the additional News regarding Eva’s New Project should be Great!!

Funny George about exchanging views with the Spartan LOL :) Hope all is well my friend!

Enjoy your Weekend Folks!
    Nikos

P.S.
    I will let you know about my new movie soon!!

30. Comment by Astrea in June 10, 2010 @ 10:00 am
  31. Comment by Nausicaa in June 15, 2010 @ 12:52 am

George – Thank you. Yes, I love Greek mythology. Nausicaa is my favorite character from The Odyssey. Hello EvaAnne, Nikos, our resident Spartan, and everyone else.

It’s been relatively quiet in Eva Land lately…I was hoping for more Camelot news. I just realized that Camelot will be a Starz original series, which isn’t quite the same thing as an HBO or Showtime original series, sadly. But it seems Starz is looking to up the ante on their original programming. I’m crossing my fingers.

32. Comment by EvaAnne in June 18, 2010 @ 5:08 am

Nausicaa: I know Greek myths quite well – I even study Classics at uni (Greek literature, almost finished with my thesis now..)

33. Comment by George in June 19, 2010 @ 4:15 am

EvaAnne: Congratulations. Was it difficult?

34. Comment by spot in June 22, 2010 @ 3:03 am

late reaction but i’m so excited with this news.

Question: will HBO pick this up/show this?

Nausicaa: welcome to EGW! nice to have you here. very interesting name ;)

35. Comment by 珠片面料 in October 25, 2011 @ 8:05 pm