Eva Green to star in “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For”

Posted by Stef in Jan 30,2013 with 18 Comments

Eva Green has been tapped to play the femme fatale of Dimension Films’ Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, being directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller.

Green’s casting marks the end of a long search for an actress to take on the role of Ava Lord, who is at the center of the pulpy story first published as a comic book in the 1990s.

The story told of a photographer who falls back into the life of a beautiful woman (Green) who had left him years earlier for a wealthy man, only to see himself set up for the murder of her husband.

Josh Brolin is playing Dwight, the photographer.

Returning for the sequel are Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Bruce Willis, Rosario Dawson and Jaime King. New additions include Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Dennis Haysbert, Christopher Meloni, Jeremy Piven, Jamie Chung, Ray Liotta, Juno Temple and Julia Garner.

“Ava Lord is one of the most deadly and fascinating residents of Sin City,” Rodriguez and Miller said in a statement. “From the start, we knew that the actor would need to be able to embody the multifaceted characteristics of this femme fatale and we found that in Eva Green.”

Green, repped by UTA, last year appeared alongside Johnny Depp in Tim Burton’s Dark Shadows and will next appear in Warners’ 300 sequel 300: Rise of an Empire.

Source: THR

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 at 3:40 pm and is filed under Movies, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

18 Responses to “Eva Green to star in “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For””

1. Comment by AusRotteN77 in January 30, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

wow super excited for this one!! im sure eva is gonna be ahhmazing in it!-

2. Comment by ivy in January 30, 2013 @ 11:12 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE Eva Green! :) can’t wait to see her in this one XD

3. Comment by Saverio in January 31, 2013 @ 4:30 am

2013 will be a great movie year :-)

4. Comment by Reinmar in January 31, 2013 @ 5:09 am

Wow, for a long time I thought Eva would be perfect Ava Lord and now it really happened. I really think that of all her newest projects this one looks by far the most interesting one.

5. Comment by Lauren in February 5, 2013 @ 7:31 pm

Oh I love her honestly but she seems she is going to be one celeb more :(

6. Comment by Daphne in February 7, 2013 @ 12:48 pm

I thought she said she doesn’t want to be cast as a femme fatale. Hypocrite

7. Comment by Nausicaa in February 7, 2013 @ 1:36 pm

I really wouldn’t judge her too hard for taking roles like this. She didn’t want to be typecast as a femme fatale by Hollywood, but if I recall correctly, mostly she didn’t want to take roles that didn’t inspire or challenge her. Sin City 2 isn’t going to win Eva any Oscars, but a role like this could be challenging. Ava Lord is supposedly an expert liar – that could be both difficult and fun to play. Also, this role doesn’t even sound *that* different from other roles she’s already taken like Angelique, or even Morgan from Camelot, that is, seductive obsessive power-hungry villanainess types, so really, does it matter that she’s actually playing a femme fatale in a hard-boiled genre movie this time?

She’s in a tough, competitive industry in which staying relevant is hard, even after one’s had their “big break.” She wasn’t doing terribly before, but her career wasn’t going fantastically well either. Frankly, if the choice is between changing an approach that isn’t working and potentially being called out as a hypocrite, I’ll go with the former. I see why others might, but I don’t have a problem with her taking roles like this, especially given that she’s alternating these bigger movies with smaller stuff like White Bird in a Blizzard.

Anyway, Robert Rodriguez is no Stanley Kubrick or even Quentin Tarantino, but his movies are at the very least highly entertaining. I don’t have a lot of hope for the 300 spin-off, but this one could actually be (gulp) good.

8. Comment by Reinmar in February 7, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

Well remember she said that when she rejected the role in Black Dahlia. But that was even before Casino Royale when she was still little known, especially in America. So she had a good reason to be afraid of being stereotyped as a femme fatale for the rest of her career. Now that she is much better recognized it’s a different story. Plus this role was coveted by many well known actresses so I guess it’s one of these offers that are hard to reject.

9. Comment by Nausicaa in February 7, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

That’s a good point too, Reinmer. Also, I’d like to point out that Sin City 2 isn’t a cynical cash grab – its directors/producers are clearly passionate about this genre and have been wanting to tell this story for many years. If all of a sudden, Eva started doing a bunch of lazy cookie-cutter rom-coms ala Katherine Heigel, I would be annoyed, ’cause those movies are nothing but a cynical cash grab. (The 300 spin-off is cutting it a bit close to “cash grab” territory, but at least Artemisia sounds like a cool role. Also, given Frank Miller’s connection to 300 and Sin City 2, it’s entirely possible that she won the Ava Lord role ’cause she impressed the right people in her 300 role.)

10. Comment by Ashley in February 7, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

I found the Sin City: A Dame to Kill For graphic novel after Eva was cast. The character Ava Lord is EXTREMELY manipulative, deadly, and she totally runs the show. She reminds me a lot of Morgan from Camelot. My only concern is that Ava Lord is naked through more than half the graphic novel. Even though Eva is no stranger to nudity, I don’t want mainstream audiences to write her off as another Hollywood bimbo when Eva is so much more talented than that.

White Bird in a Blizzard is the role I’m looking forward to the most. I’ve read the book and Eva’s character is extremely complex, very cruel to her husband and daughter, and she has a lot of secrets. It’s similar to other characters Eva has played, but the character in White Bird is relentlessly vicious to her family. It’s a great role and Eva will definitely do it justice!

I don’t think we have to worry about Eva becoming fame hungry. She was offered many big roles in her 20s that she turned down. She’s been in the business for a decade — I doubt she’ll change who she is now. Her upcoming roles in Sin City and 300 may be bigger productions, but she still chooses strong characters as she always has. Not to mention, she’s always done a pretty good mix of mainstream stuff (Bond, Golden Compass, Camelot, Dark Shadows) and the indies (Cracks, Womb, Perfect Sense). She seems to be staying true to herself so far.

11. Comment by Daphne in February 8, 2013 @ 2:01 am

How could anybody do a spin-off of 300? That movie totally sucked. I was kind of disappointed when she took it and now this. Eva, Eva …..

12. Comment by Reinmar in February 9, 2013 @ 6:37 am

That movie which you say totally sucked made 200 mld USD in States alone and almost 500 mln USD worldwide. So I’d say it was only a matter of time that a sequel/spin-off would be made. i’m bit afraid that this spin-off lacks key ingredients that made the original movie so succesful (mostly famous historical premise and Zack Snyder directing) and Eva might really be the only valuable asset of the movie but I definitely think the original “300″ was actually excellent movie (in it’s genre).

13. Comment by Daphne in February 9, 2013 @ 11:24 am

“I definitely think the original “300″ was actually excellent movie (in it’s genre). ” That says a lot about you

14. Comment by Ashley in February 9, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Eva herself said this about choosing 300. This is from April 2012, Madame Figaro:
    “For my next film, I went against my nature: I accepted an action movie. I’m playing a warrior in 300: Battle of Artemisia. I accepted because it is a man’s role, far away from me. We’ll see. My trainer warned me. He said: “The training is so intense that in general, candidates vomit and faint. “He does not know who he is dealing with … ‘

To be honest, I think Artemisia sounds a lot like her character Morgan from Camelot. Camelot wasn’t the greatest show ever, but Eva was amazing in her role just as I believe she will be in 300. The movie may not seem promising, but at least we know Eva will be great in it.

15. Comment by Reinmar in February 9, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

Geez, I wonder why we even think we need to defend Eva for accepting roles in movies that are supposed to be commercial blockbusters. As if there was something wrong with that. Is Meryl Streep ahamed of starring in Mamma Mia? or Cate Blanchett of her role in Indiana Jones? Certainly not and they have no reason to. Movies were always supposed to be mass entertainment and there is nothing more noble in participating in so called “Artistic movies” that may get some rewards on one of the countless film festivals but that nobody bothers to see. So Eva needs absolutely no excusses about being in 300 or A Dame to Kill For. Of course sometimes actors make bad choices and end up playing in a really shitty movies. But that is equally likely with movies that were supposed to be blockbusters as with these who had artistic aspirations.

P.S. One thing thing is certain – Eva casting in Sin City sequel has awaken quite intense discussion in this lately sleepy page. Also as I looked into couple of pages and forums devoted to Sin City world and movies overwhelming majority of the fans is thrilled or at least happy with Eva casting.

16. Comment by spot in February 13, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

Well said Reinmar. Additionally, as much as we want to have our opinion, it is Eva’s prerogative on what role to take or not to take and to which direction she wants to take her career to. If you don’t feel satisfied or don’t agree with her choice, you have every right to skip these movies and just see her other smaller, “more credible” roles and career choices. Lastly, we have to remember that every once in a while, an actor has to take in projects that will reignite their career/status and to be honest, roles like these will put her on a lot of important people’s (in the industry) radar like casting directors, producers and directors which will eventually help her in getting considered for other projects and roles and which will also eventually help her afford in doing smaller indie films that may or may not do well on paper. So you see, it’s not all black and white.

17. Comment by Sebastian in February 19, 2013 @ 5:29 pm

1.It’s a different to become a female fetal stamp from the Hollywood industry (like a Bond Girl) or to play a female fetal.
    2.For a lot of people is Vesper Lynn also a female fetal.
    3.The producer has said that Ava Lord is a female fetal but for Eva it goes to all the character trait behind the female fetal stamp.
    4.@ Lauren You are a celebrity when your first Movie have a lot of positve resonances and you going from red carpet to red carpet. For Eva was that least since Casino Royal that she became to a celebrity
    5.I think Eva will remain the same. When you are a other mind then kick you Eva in your Asses!!!!
    Eva is and will remain the same, end!

18. Comment by rifle targets online in May 12, 2013 @ 10:29 am

Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?

I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success.
    If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!