“White Bird in a Blizzard” still & synopsis

Posted by Stef in Feb 22,2013 with 16 Comments

Official Synopsis:
Kat Connors is 17 years old when her perfect homemaker mother, Eve, a beautiful, enigmatic, and haunted woman, disappears – just as Kat is discovering and relishing her newfound sexuality. Having lived for so long in a stifled, emotionally repressed household, she barely registers her mother’s absence and certainly doesn’t blame her doormat of a father, Brock, for the loss. In fact, it’s almost a relief. But as time passes, Kat begins to come to grips with how deeply Eve’s disappearance has affected her. Returning home on a break from college, she finds herself confronted with the truth about her mother’s departure, and her own denial about the events surrounding it…

Source: Up & Comers

GALLERY LINK:
Promotional Stills

This entry was posted on Friday, February 22nd, 2013 at 2:07 pm and is filed under Gallery, Movies, White Bird in a Blizzard. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

16 Responses to ““White Bird in a Blizzard” still & synopsis”

1. Comment by Nausicaa in February 22, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

Lovely! So the article in the source link claims that Christopher Meloni is playing “the detective on the case.” If that’s true, who’s playing the father, “Brock?” No one else on the cast list looks like a plausible candidate age-wise. I’m confused.

Also, she’s playing “Eve” in this, “Ava” in “Sin City 2.” I’m easily entertained.

2. Comment by Ashley in February 22, 2013 @ 3:20 pm

I’m thinking the article must be wrong about Christopher Meloni playing the detective. In the book Detective Szchscscz (pronounced sh-sh-sh) is in his twenties and attractive. Not that I’m saying Meloni isn’t attractive, but he’s definitely too old to play a twentysomething. Since Shailene Woodley’s character Kat has an affair with the detective, I can’t imagine Meloni is playing hom. He fits thw description of Brock perfectly though.

Although that may not mean much when Eva’s character in the book is described as 46 years old, menopausal, and with some gray hair haha

3. Comment by Nausicaa in February 22, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

@Ashley: That makes a lot more sense. Even in the still photo, Meloni looks more like a doormat dad than a detective. Also, Szchscscz, seriously? Is the character’s first name “Phil” – cause Shiloh Fernandez is playing one of Woodley’s love interests, and imdb lists his character’s name as “Phil.”

And golly did they take liberties with Eva’s casting! I just assumed that Eva’s character was supposed to be a young mom and/or young-looking. Maybe the still photo is from an old flashback, and in the main timeline they’ve aged her up with grey hairs and makeup?

Meloni does get to play a detective in “Sin City 2″ opposite Eva Green’s mean, seductive femme fatale character, though, so yay typecasting!

4. Comment by Ashley in February 22, 2013 @ 4:30 pm

@Nausicaa Yes, Szchscscz. I thought it was a completely ridiculous last name too. The only reason I know how to pronounce it is because it’s explained in the book that it’s Shh-Shh-Shh. His first name is Theo, not Phil.

Phil (Shiloh Fernandez) is Kat’s high school boyfriend. Eva’s character is extremely jealous of Kat’s relationship with this boy and there are a LOT of good parts between Kat and Eve because of it. Phil is a huge character for the book and he plays an important role.

Yes, they definitely took liberties with casting Eva! Eva being younger than her character may actually work though. The book has A LOT of flashbacks, so even though her character is missing throughout the entire book she is in it a lot. There are a lot of pages that flashback to when Eva’s character was in her early twenties and some that discuss the kind of mother she was when Kat was little. Eva will get plenty of screen time!

Eve is a very complex and dynamic character. Eva is the only actress who could show all of those layers. Eve is a very cruel and sadistic character at times and I love how Eva never plays her characters as being strictly evil. She always finds the vulnerability in the character, which is exactly what playing Eve will require.

5. Comment by Nausicaa in February 22, 2013 @ 6:27 pm

@ Ashley: It’s great to hear from someone familiar with the book. I’m a little sorry to hear that Eva’s playing a cruel antagonistic character again – as fun as these roles can be, I’d like to actually, genuinely root for Eva for once. But oh well, I’m glad she got a plum role in an indie by movie an established director that’ll actually be seen by a decent-sized audience. I really hope this thing does come out in May – 2013 might be Eva’s biggest year yet.

As for the mystery of who’s playing the detective, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

6. Comment by Ashley in February 22, 2013 @ 6:40 pm

@Nausicaa Eva’s character is hard to root for at times. Eve makes fun of her teenage daughter’s weight, becomes jealous of her daughter for having a satisfying sex life since her own is lackluster, she treats her daughter like she’s a pet, and she even physically attacks her at one point and spits on her. BUT, Eve’s back story will cause the audience to feel sympathy for her. As sadistic as her character is, she is very vulnerable and her cruelty comes from pain. Eva always plays that kind of role so perfectly!

7. Comment by Joyce in February 22, 2013 @ 11:54 pm

It’s been too long. Excited, as always, to see a new project from Eva coming to light.

8. Comment by np001 in February 23, 2013 @ 1:09 pm

Ms Green in green. She is a bloody Goddess, isn’t she! I have seen all her interviews in French and English. I am amazed by how much respect she has for her co-stars, she never speaks any ill about anyone.
    I hope this feature turns out to be great. Eva’s performance would be great anyway!

9. Comment by spot in February 25, 2013 @ 6:29 am

The PR that are coming out for this movie makes me want to see it NOW! Haha. The still reminds me so much of Vesper in the garden with James in Casino Royale.

10. Comment by AusRotteN77 in March 18, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

i also thought this was from casino royal… gorgeous!

11. Comment by João in March 26, 2013 @ 7:49 am

Hey! Does anyone know Eva’s publicist agency? I can only find the agents… Thank you!

12. Comment by spot in March 28, 2013 @ 12:11 pm
  13. Comment by Nausicaa in April 11, 2013 @ 2:29 pm

I found a picture of Green from the new 300 movie.

Am I the only one surprised by how covered up she is? Between this being a 300 movie and a Frank Miller production, and all the earlier talk of Artemisia being a “gold painted goddess” I figured this character would be designed to look more like a male sex fantasy. I’m actually impressed that they gave her proper (albeit form-fitting) armor, I suppose my expectations were that low.

14. Comment by George in April 11, 2013 @ 3:25 pm

Long time no see… At last first photo of Eva Green as Artemisia http://www.billkuchman.com/2013/04/first-look-eva-green-wants-to-go-to-war.html

15. Comment by Emma in April 12, 2013 @ 5:22 pm