Eva Green, Josh Hartnett to Star in Showtime’s ‘Penny Dreadful’

Posted by M. in Jul 30,2013 with 8 Comments

by Lesley Goldberg

The eight-episode horror drama series hails from three-time Oscar nominee John Logan.

Showtime has found the leads for its upcoming horror drama series Penny Dreadful.

Eva Green and Josh Hartnett will star in the drama from John Logan, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Penny Dreadful was created by three-time Oscar nominee John Logan (Hugo, The Aviator, Gladiator), who is on board to write and executive produce alongside Academy Award winner Sam Mendes and Neal Street’s Pippa Harris (Revolutionary Road). The psycho-sexual horror series will begin production in the fall in London.

Hartnett will play Ethan Chandler, a man of action and daring, he’s not afraid of violence. He’s charming and brash but there are demons behind his eyes. He’s more complicated than he likes to admit.

Green will play Vanessa, the singular female of the story. She’s enigmatic with haunted eyes and utterly composed. She will prove herself a force to be reckoned with and the heroine of the series.

Production will begin in October and will be on the air in the spring.

Hartnett’s credits include Pearl Harbor as well as 40 Days and 40 Nights. Green’s credits include Casino Royale and Kingdom of Heaven. Her TV credits include the miniseries Camelot.

Hartnett is repped by IFA, Management 360 and Sloane Offer; Green is with UTA and Tavistock Wood Management.

Source

This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 at 7:02 pm and is filed under Penny Dreadful, Television. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

8 Responses to “Eva Green, Josh Hartnett to Star in Showtime’s ‘Penny Dreadful’”

1. Comment by spot in July 30, 2013 @ 8:10 pm

I’m so pumped for this! I’m so happy that she found a show (on a great network!!!) that a lot of people can see and will be totally excited about. I’m not a big fan of Josh Hartnett’s acting but I hope he can go toe to toe with Eva on this. Also, this is her first foray to the horror genre so I’m crossing my fingers that this show will get a lot of viewership. This is a promising show and I’m glad that John Logan and Sam Mendes are on the helm for this! :D

2. Comment by Carmen in July 30, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

I don’t know what to think or expect…I just hope she doesn’t become another hollywood star that is admired by her physical… I mean, I don’t want her to become a bimbo, it’d be so sad :(

3. Comment by AusRotten in July 30, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

Im stoked for this one too, two of my.fav things , eva and horror..cant go wrong with that!!-.I never worry about eva becoming a hollywood clishe cuz she seems to always stay true to herself and her craft, which could be one of the reasons in my opinion shes a lil underrated, but I can totally see her gettin a big award down the line for sure

4. Comment by Antigonus in July 31, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

The writing/production team sounds heavyweight which bodes well(better than camelot) but the plot/character descriptions above sound like the blurb from a bad Stephanie Meyer imitation. I too would have doubts about Hartnett’s – ahem – acting skills. He’s going out with Eva’s former cast mate Tamsin Egerton.

5. Comment by George in July 31, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

New project + new concept = good news

6. Comment by spot in August 1, 2013 @ 6:16 am

@carmen It’s safe to say that’s one thing she won’t be ;)

@antigonus No lies detected @ the Stephanie Meyer blurb comparison.

7. Comment by Antigonus in August 2, 2013 @ 3:31 am

Some more details in this Daily Mail article: -http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2382796/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Eva-Green-star-gothic-horror-vamp-adult-new-TV-drama.html

8. Comment by spot in August 3, 2013 @ 9:18 pm